It's a Friday afternoon. While we were driving back after my son's violin lesson, we got the burning desire to eat brownies. Since i hadn't baked in a while, it took me some time to think how to get it all started. What i did was to pen down the ingredients that i wanted to start off with. Once the list was ready, i matched it with my brownie recipe i used years ago which was loaded with butter and sugar. I made the substitutions, tweaked the recipe and got off to an interesting start.
I also have to admit that i don't have the habit of writing down measurements while i mix ingredients and do have a hard time recalling them...
2 cups organic gluten free wholemeal flour
1/2 cup organic cocoa powder
30 grams unsweetened baking chocolate
4 flax eggs (4 tbsp flax powder soaked in 10 tbsp water and kept aside for 5 mins)
20 dates soaked in 1 cup warm water
3/4 cup soaked almonds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1 1/4 - 1 1/2 cup water
1 vanilla pod
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup raisins
1. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
2. In a high speed blender, blend the soaked dates, almonds, flax mix, baking chocolate and water.
3. Stir until everything is well combined and set aside.
4. Line a pan with a sheet of parchment paper leaving enough room for some paper to come out from the sides. This will make it easier to remove the brownies from the pan.
5. Do not over mix as the brownies may turn hard.
6. Preheat the oven to 175 C and bake for 15- 17 mins.
7. Once the brownies are cooled, pull them out and cut them into squares. The waiting period is the hardest!
8. Enjoy these sumptuous brownies!